Tuesday, February 13, 2007


Why Should I Give a Shit?

Anna Nicole Smith has fled this mortal coil to take her place amongst the choir invisible. May the Lord take pity on her and grant her eternal rest.

I think that that is just about enough to say about Anna Nicole Smith on a day that boasted headlines like Hamas and Fatah agreeing to a unity government, Israelis and Palestinians hurting each other near the temple mount because of disagreements over archeological excavation, George W bracing for the stern talking to he is about to get from Congress when they debate the non-binding resolution criticizing his decision to deploy 21k more troops to Iraq (I can imagine Cheney yawning long and wide while Pelosi and crew waste their breath), and finally, in New Orleans, a story about a woman giving her 17 year old son a semi-automatic pistol and instructing him to assassinate a kid in the neighborhood who had bested him in a good, honest, fist-fight.

This is the world I live in.

Yet, CNN, the BBC, and all my other favorite haunts have big splash stories about Anna Nicole Smith and her impending autopsy. The exception, of course, to that rule was Al Jazeera which made me consider that the muslims definitely have good reasons for distrusting western "progress" and "journalistic freedom." No, Al Jazera's big story today had pictures of human beings being carried to safety from gun fights, people standing around in shock after having watched their buddies gunned down by their American "allies" and the burning aftermath of a rocket attack in a market in Mogadishu.

Yet, Anna Nicole is big news...

People wonder why American teenagers can't find Kashmir on a map but even when kids do attempt to indulge journalistic media, they are handed platters of shit, adorned with birthday candles. Anna Nicole Smith was a working class girl who shook her money maker for the right guy, in the right place and at the right time. In a way, she represents a good, old fashioned, working class hero in the sense of Liza, the Bowery Gal. Yet, in another more practical way, she represents just another distracting, bullshit, example of ADHD at work in the shaping of our cultural consciousness. Do I need to be kept abreast of the coroners reports on Anna Nicole Smith? No, I don't.

She died of complications due to her taking barbituates (or tranquilizers) and drinking alchohol. I haven't read the story, and in any event, the story on the autopsy findings haven't been released yet but, from what little I know of Anna Nicole Smith (I never paid attention when she was alive), she was known for popping pills and for going out in public drunk off her ass. The smart money says: pills and booze. You see, I fall guilty to the same impulse to indulge this bullshit distraction! I know there is more important stuff that I could be occupying myself with, that I SHOULD be occupying myself with but, no. Anna Nicole Smith...

Why? Why should I give a shit?

02/09/07
New Orleans, LA

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home